10 reasons to come to Scilly in 2017
Need an excuse to get away? Here’s 10 of the best events and festivals taking place across the archipelago in 2017, giving you the perfect reasons to put the Isles of Scilly on your holiday calendar this year.
- Get under the skin of the islands at Walk Scilly 2017, 1st – 7th April. Enjoy our unique natural environment and island way of life as expert Scillonian guides take you on a week-long festival of themed walks across the archipelago.
- Land on St. Martin's for the Daymark Festival, a three-day Easter extravaganza of live music from Scilly and beyond. Enjoy some fantastic bands, great food, drink and a good craic at venues across the whole island - including the Sevenstones Inn, Karma St. Martin's Hotel, Polreath Tearoom and more. A great way to spend Easter weekend!
- Join the pageant that is the World Pilot Gig Championships from 28th April to 1st May. Hundreds of crews descend on the islands from Cornwall and further afield (some as far away as Bermuda) to compete in traditional pilot gigs and become World Championship rowers. Town Beach fills with gigs, pubs fill with bands and party go-ers, and the islands celebrate their busiest weekend of the year.
- Dig out your fiddle, find your voice and set sail for the 2017 Scilly Folk Festival this Whitsun weekend (25th – 30th May). Five days of fun, frolics and musical entertainment brought to you by Cornish folk bands and island-based musicians.
- “Scilly Laughs” returns to Scilly, 10th – 13th June, as Julie Jepson and friends tour the islands with high jinks and light-hearted comedy.
- Cheer on some 150 teams of top-class endurance athletes at the international swim-run spectacle that is Ötillö. This world championship qualifier takes place on 17th June across St. Mary’s, Tresco, Bryher and St. Martin’s on a 37km swim and run course between the islands. Winners qualify for a place in the Championship final in Sweden.
- Tuck into mouth-watering seafood, fine island wines and Scilly ales at Taste of Scilly, a September celebration of the very best in local produce across the islands. Pop-up beach barbecues, fish for your supper nights, farm tours and tastings, gourmet lunches, Taste of Scilly cream teas, cider and ale festivals will all feature on the menu.
- Fancy a challenge? Then how about the Scilly Swim Challenge? Choose to swim and walk the islands over one or two days between 2nd and 6th September and experience the amazing swimming and beautiful scenery that Scilly has to offer.
- Head to one of England’s last outposts as the Sevenstones Inn presents the St. Martin’s Film Festival from 5th – 8th October. Expect cult films, comedy shorts and magical movies of yesteryear. A unique film festival in a unique setting.
- Enjoy an Indian summer on Scilly and grab yourself a late season break. Time it for the long Walk Scilly Weekend from 12th – 16th October and you’ll be treated to a sparkling array of wild walks, rare migrating birds and superb wildlife.